Sudan coup: Protesters demand immediate move to civilian rule

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

Omar al-Bashir was ousted from power by the military following months of civilian protests against his 30-year rule.

Protest leaders dismissed the transitional military council as the "same old faces" from the old regime, which had led the country into multiple conflicts and worsening poverty and social inequality.

Fast forward to February 23 of this year, and Mr Ibn Auf was appointed Vice President by Mr Al Bashir, who was desperately searching for a figure to help him survive weeks of mass protests.

Lt-Gen Abdel Fattah al-Burhan announced the "restructuring of state institutions", in a televised address.

Ali al-Sanhouri, the secretary general of the Arab Socialist Baath Party in Sudan, said they're calling for the creation of a "civilian sovereignty council, cabinet and a national legislative association" to rule the county during the transition.

This idea has been rejected by opposition groups who demand a civilian transitional government.

"The chief of the Transitional Military Council, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, has accepted the resignation of. the chief of NISS", the Transitional Military Council said.

"I am confident he will steer the ship to safe shores", he said of Burhan, adding that he was stepping aside to "preserve unity" of the armed forces.

Groups like this are everywhere, said one demonstrator as behind him musicians played traditional Sudanese and African tunes.

Bachelet says: "The crisis in Sudan has its roots in human rights grievances - economic, social, civil and political rights".

The general has been a key ally of Mr Bashir since the early 1990s and is among 17 Sudanese officials indicted for genocide, human right abuses and war crimes in the Darfur region by the International Criminal Court (ICC) in 2009.

The demonstrations against Bashir's 30-year rule first erupted in December, triggered by a tripling of the bread prices in one of the world's most impoverished countries.

Now the popular uprising that ousted Mr Al Bashir has also forced Mr Ibn Auf to stand aside.

He pledged the military would stay in power only as long as it was needed.

But there are now fears that a new confrontation between protesters and the military authorities could take place as opposition activists reject the three-month state of emergency imposed by the army and its plans for a two-year transitional military council.

Thousands of protestors heeded the call to stage a sit-in outside Khartoum army headquarters in defiance of the curfew as pressure piled on the military council 's to hand over to civilian rule.

Military vehicles entered the large compound in Khartoum housing the defence ministry, the army headquarters and Mr Bashir's personal residence to topple him.

"It's very hard to see the military council saying to the protests" organisers: "We will step back and let you run the show'", she said, adding: "Ultimately, those who will decide the fate of the council and the talks are the people who have been protesting for almost four months now".

He says the ouster "was not a coup" but a response to the people's demands.

On Saturday, state-run media reported that Lt. Gen. Salah Abdallah Gosh, the head of the National Intelligence and Security Services, resigned the day before.

"Moreover, the suspension of the constitution could be lifted at any point and the transitional period could be shortened depending on developments on the ground and agreements reached between stakeholders", the Sudanese envoy said.