Bangladesh cricketers depart Christchurch after near miss in yesterday's terror attacks

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

A New Zealand Cricket spokesperson confirmed the cancellation two hours after multiple people were killed in mass shootings at two mosques in the New Zealand city. The firing was occurred at two mosques and it is unclear yet about the number of attackers. AFP had reported local media as having quoted nine deaths.

Mashud narrated what took place as the team was heading to the mosque and admitted that they were "really lucky" to not be caught in the crossfire. In the end, the players survived the attack and returned to their hotel safely, however, many players witnessed the incident from their bus and could hear shooting from inside the mosque, leaving many players traumatized.

New Zealand have not toured Pakistan since 2002 following a suicide bombing outside their hotel in Karachi and instead played their games in the United Arab Emirates.

"Just escaped active shooters!".

The panic started spreading, and we saw around 20 people were running out.

Scared hostage reports shooter held outside Papanui.

A New Zealand Cricket spokesman said on Saturday Black Caps players and management were not available for comment.

The alleged killer is believed to have live-streamed the shooting on Facebook.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Arden said that the attack was an "unprecedented act of violence" and "one of New Zealand's darkest days".

Leading New Zealand players voiced their shock at what took place with captain Kane Williamson posting in Instagram: "Like the rest of New Zealand, I am struggling to understand what has happened today". Police have warned people to avoid the area.

In a chilling account, Khaled Mashud described how most of the Bangladeshi team drove up to the Masjid al Noor in a bus just as the attack got underway.

When the bus carrying some players and coaching staff arrived at the mosque, they heard but did not see the shootings, Mohammad Isam, a journalist traveling with the Bangladesh team, told The Associated Press.

"Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high".

"The team showed a united front in terms of the decision", Jeremy Curwin, the Canterbury Cricket CEO, said.

The police recommended that residents across Christchurch remain off the streets and said schools would be locked down until further notice.

The Bangladesh players, preparing for the third and final Test at the picturesque Hagley Park Oval against Kane Williamson's New Zealand, cancelled the practice session due to inclement weather yesterday afternoon.

After being barred from getting off the bus for several minutes, the players escaped and are now "locked down" in their dressing room, per ESPNCricinfo.