Rockets fired from Gaza, Israel stages air strikes after botched raid

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

After hours of calm, a barrage of rockets was sacked from Gaza into Israel on Monday afternoon.

The Israeli military remained tight-lipped about the incident but said a covert operation was underway at least 3.2km inside the Gaza Strip when the unit's presence was somehow exposed.

Israel and Egypt have maintained a blockade on Gaza since the Hamas takeover.

Militants within Gaza have launched dozens of rockets at southern Israel while Israeli warplanes retaliated with airstrikes on the Gaza Strip, in what appears to be the fiercest exchange of fire since 2014.

An explosion is seen during an Israeli air strike on the Gaza City headquarters of Hamas' Al Aqsa TV, in Gaza City November 12, 2018.

Netanyahu, who had been attending World War I commemorations in Paris, arrived in Israel yesterday and was to convene a meeting of security chiefs.

As the latest attacks against Israel from Hamas have taken place in Gaza, the U.S. State Department condemned the terrorist group and reaffirmed that Israel has the right to defend itself.

Israeli military spokesman Lt. Col. Jonathan Conricus said the operation was "not meant to kill or abduct terrorists but to strengthen Israeli security".

Hussam Aldejani, a Gaza-based political analyst, told The National that the clash indicated the preparedness of the Hamas fighters in responding to a secretive Israeli operation. He said Gaza militant groups were believed to have an arsenal in excess of 20,000 rockets and mortars of different caliber and range. At the same time, Hamas has lowered the intensity of its border protests in recent weeks.

British Prime Minister Theresa May said there were still considerable unresolved issues with the European Union over Brexit as the two sides approached the "endgame" in negotiations for departure from the bloc.

At least 231 Palestinians have since been killed by Israeli fire, the majority shot during protests and clashes, while others died in tank fire or air strikes. The officer's funeral was held Monday.

Color Red air raid sirens sounded in Sderot, Netivot, Ashkelon, Ashdod, Beersheva and the Dead Sea.

Palestinian health officials said that two people were killed and three others wounded in the Israeli strikes, Reuters reports.

Both were brought back to Israel, the military said.

The IDF said though that the operation was "not meant to kill or abduct terrorists, but to strengthen Israeli security".

It did not provide other details about the operation. He said the force faced a "very complex battle" and was able to "ex-filtrate in its entirety".

Undercover Israeli special forces entered around two kilometres into the territory in a civilian auto near the southern Gazan city of Khan Younis, opening fire when they were discovered, the Al Qassam Brigades, Hamas's armed wing, said in a statement.

On Monday, more than 300 rockets from Gaza were launched into southern Israel, the country's military said.

School has been canceled in large parts of southern Israel and local election postponed because of the threat of further attacks.

Last week, Qatar delivered $15 million (€13.2 million) of cash in suitcases to the Gaza Strip. The cash came with vital fuel for a power plant, too.

In the most serious strike, a mortar shell struck an Israeli bus, critically wounding a 19-year-old man.

Regev arrived in Abu Dhabi on October 26, and she participated in the opening ceremony of the worldwide event at the Emirati capital's Zayed Sports City, Palestinian Arabic-language Ma'an news agency reported.

Comentarios