Dolce&Gabbana founders make video apology to China

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

The company had previously apologised to "China and the Chinese people" and expressed regret that its Shanghai event had been cancelled, while Gabbana claimed that his Instagram account had been hacked. "Starting today Miss Zhang and her team will not buy and use any D&G products". D&G suffered another huge blow as Chinese e-commerce portals such as Taobao.com, JD.com, Alibaba's Tmall, Suning.com, Ymatou.com, VIP.com and Kaola all removed D&G products as searches on these sites produced no results, just before the Black Friday online shopping bonanza was about to begin in China.

Rein said it's a big mistake when westerners come up with creative content but don't understand how the campaigns will be received by Chinese consumers.

"We will never forget this experience and lesson, and this sort of thing will never happen again", Stefano said.

When South Korea employed THAAD, a U.S. anti-ballistic missile defence system deployed in South Korea as tensions on the peninsula were rising, China quickly responded to THAAD with a ban on tour group travel to South Korea in the spring of 2017.

"From the bottom of our hearts, we ask for your forgiveness", continues Gabbana, before they both say, "Dubi bu qi". Lane Crawford president Andrew Keith said in a statement: "With respect to our customers, we have taken the decision to remove Dolce & Gabbana from all stores in mainland China, online and in Hong Kong".

Diet Prada followed this post with the messages between Gabbana and Travona in which the designer first appears to defend the campaign before making derogatory comments about China and Chinese people. They end the video saying "sorry" in Mandarin.

Dolce&Gabbana apologized on Instagram and said the accounts had been hacked.

Now, the two founders are begging forgiveness... sort of.

One of the brand's most memorable pr disasters happened in 2015 when when the design duo was interviewed by Italian magazine, Panorama. But trying to export its ironic marketing tone to China may have been a step too far.

Still, the firm can not avoid the importance of China, which accounts for 33 per cent of the global luxury goods market. Dolce & Gabbana labeled the series "Eating with Chopsticks", and tagged each of the ads with #DGLovesChina and #DGTheGreatShow.

The backlash marks the second time in consecutive years that Dolce & Gabbana has courted controversy in the country.

Referring to the cancelled show, he said many models, manufacturers and publicists from around the world worked hard on it but it was now a "wasted effort". Cross-border e-commerce platform Yangmatou said in a post Wednesday that a total of 58,000 D&G items have been pulled from its platform.

"I am not Chinese but I find myself offended", he said.

"Starting tomorrow, Wang Junkai and Wang Junkai Studio will terminate all co-operation with Dolce & Gabbana", according to a statement released on the official Sina Weibo account of the star's studio last night.

Comentarios