Shame of Vatican over Pennsylvania abuse priests

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

"There are two words that can express the feelings faced with these terrible crimes: shame and sorrow", said the statement issued in the name of Greg Burke, the director of the Holy See press office.

The New York Times calls the report the broadest investigation of priest sexual abuse so far by a us government agency.

"By finding nearly no cases after 2002, the Grand Jury's conclusions are consistent with previous studies showing that Catholic Church reforms in the United States drastically reduced the incidence of clergy child abuse", Burke said.

Another survivor, Sean Dougherty, 48, said he believes he'd been "groomed" for abuse by the church at a young age. Tuesday's report accused Wuerl of helping to protect some child-molesting priests while he was bishop of Pittsburgh from 1988 to 2006.

Both Wuerl and Zubik dispute this, saying the files from the '60s were in a warehouse and they were unaware of Paone's abuse history.

New details are emerging about how Catholic Church leaders protected priests accused of sexual abuse.

Shockingly, only two were charged as a result of the grand jury investigation.

He stressed that many priests remain true to their vocation.

Over 100 of the pedophile priests have sine died, with many others having retired, been dismissed or put on leave from the priesthood.

The clergy sex abuse allegations in Pennsylvania have prompted robust feedback from survivors, the state attorney general's office says.

The Diocese of Erie followed suit by adding five new names to their publicized list of clergy as well as lay men and women.

"Catholics have lost patience with us and civil society has lost confidence in us".

"I think it has been considerably aggravated by the anti-life culture in which we live, namely the contraceptive culture that separates the sexual act from the conjugal union", he said.

The Philadelphia archdiocese and the Johnstown-Altoona diocese were not included in the investigation because they have been the subject of three previous scathing grand jury investigations.

Calls to the hotline in 2016 spurred the grand jury investigation, and Attorney General Josh Shapiro said the investigation is still going on.

In more than 900 pages, the grand jury wrote about its findings all over Pennsylvania spanning more than 70 years.

But while Tuesday's report led to charges against two priests, one of whom has pleaded guilty, the majority of those responsible are dead and the vast majority of crimes happened too long ago to prosecute, officials said. "When we do not adequately address an issue as serious as sexual abuse, it undermines the credibility of church leaders".

A trove of documents containing allegations and admissions of sexual abuse were kept locked up in what the church calls its "secret archives", with the only key in the bishop's hands.

Each diocese's response to the report was noticeably similar, with expressions of sorrow.

Comentarios