The government is shut down. What happens now?

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

Republicans in the majority have been pressing for another short-term funding bill - the federal fiscal year began October 1 without an annual appropriation - and say Democrats are playing politics; Democrats, meanwhile, appear to believe this represents one of the few chances they will get to apply pressure to the Republicans to force an accommodation to pass a law protecting the dreamers. The parks were closed in 2013 and it resulted in a loss of 750,000 daily visitors, said the nonprofit National Parks Conservation Association.

"The military will still go to work". The parks will be open. "And even if they get paid later, they are not going to come back and pay us back".

Before 2018, the federal government experienced more than a dozen shutdowns and funding gaps of varying lengths and with varying impacts.

The latest logjam is far from the first time that Washington's dysfunction has put the welfare of millions at risk.

"I've called on my agencies, where we are able, to step in for the federal government", she said during the press conference.

So, here we go again.

US President Donald Trump marked the first anniversary of his inauguration yesterday with his government in shutdown, accusing Democrats of taking Americans hostage with their demands and putting immigrants ahead of the nation's military.

Republican U.S. Rep. Tom McClintock, who represents California's Congressional District 4 that includes both Tuolumne and Calaveras counties, railed against the Obama Administration for the closures and vowed that the House National Resources Committee would launch a federal inquiry into whether the administration "intentionally made the shutdown as inconvenient as possible".

Customs and border agents will still be working the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel, Ambassador Bridge and other border crossings. The Social Security Administration will still send out benefits and will continue to take applications.

Department of State (DOS): Visa operations are likely to continue during the shutdown. Members of Congress by law must continue to be paid.Who will be affected?

Also continuing are programs that don't rely on annual funding approval from Congress, including Social Security, Medicare and social programs.

Anything the government deems nonessential.

The Thrift Savings Plan will continue to operate normally for the duration of the shutdown. The longest shutdown was three weeksIn the final days of 1995, large portions of the federal government shut down for three weeks following a dispute between President Clinton and Republicans.

"The question before us today is, do you want to keep the government open, and the services provided, and six years of full funding for children's health insurance and pregnant women, or will you vote against it?"

Concessionaires aren't impacted, so places like the National Park Inn and its restaurant will not be closed as long as the road to Longmire is open, Swartout said. But if the shutdown drags on, they, too, could run out of money and have to close their doors.

"About 60 percent of our customers are government workers, and the other 40 percent are tourists", Grande said. It has a budget that is separate from the spending package which Congress is debating, so it's funded, and won't shut down. Each party expressed resolve in its position - and confidence that the other would suffer the wrath of voters.

If you wanted to get a gun permit, you'll have to wait because the government shut down affects the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. Kirsten E. Gillibrand, a New York Democrat.

The Smithsonian's NY museums, the Cooper Hewitt design museum and Heye Center, would be closed.

She also said the city plans to help the federal government maintain the National Mall.

But Mr Schumer said his party took significant steps to reach a deal, including raising the possibility of funding for Mr Trump's proposed wall along the United States border with Mexico, which it has opposed.

While those affected by DACA and CHIP are the most visible victims of a potential government shutdown, they are not alone.

Comentarios