Former PM Sir John Key caught up in false Hawaii missile alert

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

The false alert comes amid escalating tensions between North Korea and the United States over Pyongyang's development of ballistic nuclear weapons.

"Everyone was freaking out, running through the streets", he said.

Several hundred people attended the chamber's Military Affairs Council's partnership conference, which started at the state Capitol and ended with a luncheon at Washington Place and keynote speech by Adm. Harry Harris, head of the Pacific Command. This was a very serious error that occurred and we will all work together to restore the public's faith in our state emergency alert system.

Speculation was fuelled further when Hawaii Governor David Ige apologised for the false alert that left locals terrified.

"There was nothing I could do".

"We are so not prepared", she said. There's no shelter to go to. He called for immediate action. I was thinking, 'What could we do? The missile was reported to be effective within minutes and may impact the sea or land.

"Heard a knock on the door".

"We're still waiting on the details", said Gabbard, when asked how such a message could have gone out.

A video originally posted on Snapchat shows a man lowering a child down a manhole following the false alarm.

As of Saturday evening, President Trump had yet to mention the event, but railed against "Fake News" in a tweet sent a few hours after the false alarm.

"I thought, 'Oh my god, this is it". "It's something I have never felt before, because it was the good-bye, not "bye, see ya later".

Brian Naeole, who was visiting Honolulu from Molokai, said he wasn't anxious since he didn't hear sirens and neither TV nor radio stations issued alerts.

Hannemann said he's also concerned that the false alarm could dampen response to a "real deal". "My mom was praying for me, and I just said, 'this is it - there's a missile coming'".

Many have been stunned by how unprepared they were. Some guests at hotels across the Hawaiian Islands were instructed to go to hotel basements after the false alert was sent out.

"We're looking at the sensor first and then the interceptors second", Kailiwai said. Apparently, the wrong button was pushed and it took over 30 minutes for a correction to be announced.

David Ige has apologized for the "pain and confusion" caused by a false ballistic missile attack alert that caused fear across the island state Saturday morning.

Minutes after the alert, however, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) said she had confirmed there was no missile.

After the initial shock subsided, the next question was, "What do we do now?" But it took about 38 minutes for another push notification to arrive on phones declaring there was no real danger.

"It's really the only spot we have without any windows and and were sitting in the tub just kind of waiting", Murray said.

"Hawaii's civil defense system failed Hawaii's residents this morning". "That's why the Commission has been working hard to make them more effective".