London attacker told Italian police he "wanted to be a terrorist"

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

The third of the three London Bridge attackers was on Tuesday named as Youssef Zaghba, a 22-year-old Italian national of Moroccan descent, who was on Italy's list of persons at risk after being held last year while on his way to Syria. In particular, there are questions over whether investigators had the resources to look into complaints such as those levelled by Butt's neighbours about his attempts to radicalize children and whether crucial opportunities were missed. The third attacker responsible has now been identified.

Police said Tuesday he lived in east London and that his family has been notified, adding that he was not considered to be a "subject of interest" to either police or the intelligence services. She also said she agreed with the Muslim religious leaders who refused to recite funeral prayers for the attackers.

Zaghba was stopped past year by Italian authorities at the Bologna airport because he appeared "agitated", at which point, having no luggage on his one-way flight to Istanbul, he told authorities that he was "going to be a terrorist," Politico reports.

The other member of the trio, Rachid Redouane, a 30-year-old who had claimed to be Moroccan and Libyan, was not known to intelligence services. They said one arrest had been made on Tuesday.

Italian authorities subsequently seized his phone, but the Moroccan from Italy was not charged with a crime and so was not arrested. In the film, he was seen with a group unfurling a black-and-white flag associated with the Islamic State group.

An Italian intelligence source confirmed the man has an Italian mother and a Moroccan father.

Zaghba was stopped while trying to take a flight to Turkey on his way to Syria, Italian newspaper Corriere della Sera reported Tuesday.

"We did everything we could have done", he said.

"We need to review what happened in his case and learn the lessons so that the methodology of the response to known suspicions is improved". "He was someone who was suspicious because of his way of behaving".

The 27-year-old man is the only suspect now in custody. Zaghba's Italian citizenship prevented such an expulsion, Italian daily Repubblica reported.

He later clarified: "I think we should vote on Thursday to decide who our MPs are and who are government is going to be ..."

The latest opinion poll on voting intentions, by Survation for ITV, had the Conservatives' lead over Labour narrowing to just one point from six points in the same poll a week earlier.

The country's official terror threat level remains at "severe", one notch down from the highest.

Comentarios