Bomb threat from passenger forces Malaysia Air to land plane

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

A Malaysia Airlines plane has been forced to turn back to Melbourne's Tullamarine airport after a passenger tried to enter the cockpit.

The 25-year-old purchased a ticket for the flight from Melbourne to Kuala Lumpur after he was released from the Monash Medical Centre in Clayton on Wednesday, said Victoria Police chief commissioner Graham Ashton in a report by Sydney Morning Herald.

Witnesses said "two or three fearless young Aussies" tackled the 25-year-old Sri Lankan, who had just been released from a psychiatric hospital.

The man was alleged to have been brandishing an unidentified black object that he said was a bomb.

"I am informed the man has a criminal history and has previously been treated for mental health issues", he told Parliament.

Marks refused to face a magistrate late on Thursday, with a lawyer telling the court there would be no bail application.

The 337 passengers and crew on board were forced to wait in their seats for more than an hour, after the flight landed safely back in Melbourne, according to passengers.

Former AFL player Andrew Leoncelli told 3AW the man screamed: "I've got a bomb and I'm going to f***ing blow the plane up" before flight attendants and other passengers tackled and restrained him.

The stranded passengers finally departed Melbourne yesterday night on another Malaysia Airlines flight. "One disruptive passenger tried to enter the plane's cockpit", he said.

Langdon said the device the man was carrying was an "electronic device, but it was quickly ascertained that it was not an explosive device".

"There's a giant black object on this plane, a insane guy wants to blow it up, who was subdued", the former footballer said in a video made while on the plane, seen by the Age.

Passengers were kept on the plane for 90 minutes after landing and the aircraft was searched for potential bombs at a remote part of the airport.

Malaysia Airlines planes sit on the tarmac at Kuala Lumpur International Airport July 21, 2014.

Police say the arrested man has no terror links.

Several passengers wrestled Marks to the floor, said Mr Ashton.

"But they weren't coming on the plane, and we didn't know why", another passenger said. "I really did think I was going to die", she said.

Heavily armed police eventually stormed onto the plane and arrested the man.

Daniel Andrews, Premier of Victoria, said he had faith in the relevant authorities to appropriately deal with situations and praised the passengers and crew for their actions.