2 arrested and charged in Oakland warehouse fire that killed dozens

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

Oakland Ghost Ship warehouse founder Derick Almena and his associate Max Harris have been arrested on involuntary manslaughter charges connected to the deadly fire in Oakland, the Alameda County DA said on Monday.

Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O'Malley will hold a press conference today at 1 p.m.at which she is expected to formally announce the charges. They were arrested earlier in the day.

A second person, Max Harris was also arrested in Los Angeles, sources told KTVU.

The Ghost Ship, at 1315 31st Ave., was zoned and permitted only as a warehouse, but was filled with live-and-work spaces for artists.

Nonetheless, Alexander said she was disappointed the owner of the building, Chor Nar Siu Ng, wasn't charged.

Almena - the eccentric patriarch of the underground artist collective - lived at the Ghost Ship with his wife and children and rented out the building for the December 2 party. He later said he didn't know people had died when he posted the comment.

More details to come.

An official briefed on the investigation initially told ABC News that the power went out inside the building when the fire started and the flames blocked the building's only exit, making it hard for people inside to escape.

"Defendants Almena and Harris knowingly created a fire trap", O'Malley said Monday.

CNN was attempting to reach an attorney for Harris.

In an interview with TODAY that took place in the aftermath of the fire, Almena refused to take responsibility, saying, "I'm only here to say one thing: That I am incredibly sorry".

More than six months after the fatal blaze, authorities have not disclosed what caused the fire but have said they are investigating electrical causes. The lawsuits also name Pacific Gas & Electric, alleging the utility should have known the warehouse was wired hazardously.

"There is more responsibility to go around", Boudreaux said.

Agents with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said they were looking into the building's electrical system, a tangle of strewn extensions cords weaving around the warehouse's various rickety rooms, as the cause of the fire. The site lacked permits for either activity. He told the Today show that he didn't think the space was risky, as evidenced by the fact that he usually lived there with his children; he said they stayed at a hotel the night of the party to get some sleep.

Almena lied to law enforcement officers, "insisting that no one lived in the warehouse", according to Cristina Harbison, an inspector in the District Attorney's office and author of the document.