Yasin Malik arrested; Geelani, others put under house arrest after Bhat killing

Ajustar Comentario Impresión

For the second consecutive day, the restrictions imposed by authorities to foil protests and shutdown called by separatists against killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Sabzar Bhat and his associate affected normal life in Valley on Monday while a 70-year-old mentally unsound person was arrested and released after he attempted to grab rifle of a paramilitary jawan, who took it as a rifle snatching bid.

SRINAGAR, India Government forces enforced a strict curfew in parts of Indian-controlled Kashmir on Sunday, a day after the killing of a prominent rebel commander by Indian soldiers sparked massive protests in the disputed region.

Curfew and restrictions continued in Srinagar and other places in the Kashmir Valley on Monday as authorities said "these were necessary to maintain law and order".

They said Section 144 of CrPc (the Criminal Procedure code) continued in the districts of Budgam and Ganderbal in central Kashmir.

Defying the separatists' bandh call, almost 800 Kashmiri youngsters on Sunday appeared in the Army's common entrance exam in the valley, which has been hit by fresh protests following the killing of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militant Sabzar Bhat.

All shops and other commercial establishments were closed in Srinagar while public transport was off the roads.

An uneasy calm prevailed in the Valley on Sunday amid unprecedented security arrangements, a day after Hizb chief Sabzar Bhat martyrdom, as his burial late on Saturday night witnessed hundreds gather at his ancestral village in south Kashmir's Tral in defiance of the curfew.

Scores of people had suffered injuries while some of them are still stated to be critical even as one civilian was killed in clashes that spread in Kashmir after the killing of two militants including Hizbul Mujahideen Commander Sabzar Ahmed Bhat.

The authorities had ordered closure of all schools and colleges in the Valley today.

Islamic University of Science and Technology (IUST), Awantipora, on Sunday also postponed the examination scheduled for Monday.

An Army official said 799 candidates appeared for the common entrance examination for selection of junior commissioned officers and other ranks held at Pattan and Srinagar. Train services remained suspended for a second consecutive day.

Amid complete shutdown, authorities imposed curfew and restrictions in different parts of Valley to maintain law and order. However, miscreants pelted stones on security yesterday in which some persons were injured.

Police said that situation remained peaceful and under control in the Valley except for six incidents of stone pelting in Pulwama, Kulgam, Shopian and Sopore.

Authorities have chose to continue the restrictions tomorrow in view of Tral march called by separatist leaders.

He said Srinagar-bound vehicles on Kargil-Sonamarg road were also being restricted due to the prevailing circumstances.

The Indian Express report said that while there were sporadic protests in Kashmir, it was less that what it was a few days ago. He water handed over to police.

He said the jawan took it a weapon-snatching bid and raised an alarm.