The family of a man battling a severe case of botulism after eating food at a Sacramento-area gas station said Monday he has passed away.
Health officials said the cheese had tested positive for the toxin the causes botulism, a rare illness caused by bacteria that can trigger paralysis, breathing difficulties and lead to death. If that is the case, other foodservice operators could have received contaminated cheese.
On their Go Fund Me Page, family members said Galindo had fallen into a coma and was on a ventilator before he died. "To ensure the integrity of those tests results, we also sent multiple samples to an independent lab, which confirmed our findings". Health officials urged customers who ate the shop's nacho cheese between April 23 and May 5 to contact their personal medical providers.
"While there are still unanswered questions about this outbreak, these tragic illnesses are important reminders to be vigilant about food safety", CDPH Director and State Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith wrote in a press release.
A California father has died and at least 9 others were sickened as health officials continue to investigate a botulism outbreak tied to tainted nacho cheese.
Inside Valley Oak Food and Fuel there's no sign of a nacho cheese dispenser now, but there is an empty county that's roped off - prepared food hasn't been sold at the store since May 5, according to Sacramento County Public Health.
Kelly has been in the intensive care unit for over three weeks. The toxins that cause the illness can be found in foods that are not properly processed or stored and they cannot be identified by the naked eye, states the CDPH. It is odorless and colorless, according to the CDPH, so it is not possible to tell if a food product is affected.
Cook - Make sure foods are cooked to the right temperature.
"Gehl Foods' Aseptic processing means food and beverages achieve sterility through a rapid process of heating and cooling, producing a commercially sterile product that won't spoil".